Marshall Cottrill was born in Melfort, Saskatchewan in 1904. In 1931 He purchased part of the Hudson Bay Quarter in the Touchwood Hills, south of Kandahar. Marshall and his wife Bernice Ford homesteaded on this land and each began teaching in the one room country schools- Bognar and Product that were a few miles nearby.
After raising three children: Marilyn, Kay and Carol on their mixed cattle and grain farm, they moved to Kandahar in 1969 where Bernice or “Bird” taught grade one for twenty five years. Presently their daughter Carol and husband Eugene McSymytz live and farm this land where they raised their three children: Laurie, Glenda and Jeff.
In 1975, Marshall decided to build a park in Kandahar called ‘Killdeer Park’ and it was and still is situated on the land occupied by a former curling rink. The school children held a contest to name the park, and it was named after the many Killdeer that nested in the area. Marshall hauled trees from Melfort, Archerwille and Kelvington to landscape the park as these species were not locally available. This resulted in 24 different varieties of trees and shrubs. A gazebo was built in 1980 and stlll stands today tucked deep in the dense wood. Marshall had been caretaker of the park from 1975 until his death. They were both nature lovers and natural born teachers who loved the land, the Kandahar community, The Quill Lakes and the rolling Touchwood Hills.